Free websites and apps to help you learn a foreign language
By Lauren Paulsen, Senior Columnist
There are hundreds of different language learning tools to help aspiring multi-linguists. But you don’t need to spend hundreds of dollars on courses and programs to be able to effectively learn a language. The following are some very useful tools that you can use to help you learn a foreign language without breaking your bank:
- A dictionary. The most important tool you will have while you are learning a foreign language is a dictionary. You can use either a solid form in a book, or use an electronic one. Whichever format you choose, take it everywhere with you.
- Anki is a free software program that you can use on your computer or as an app on your mobile device. Basically electronic flashcards, the program is very popular among language learners. You can create your own deck, or you can download a previously-made one that someone else has shared.
- Another free software that you can find online or on Android and iOS. Duolingo acts like a game, giving you experience points as you learn words and complete lessons. It is very easy to use and makes learning fun.
- This is a great website where you can find other people to talk with, such as teachers and native-speakers. Because talking with someone is one of the most effective ways to learn a foreign language, iTalki is an invaluable tool.
- Also a website and app for iOS and Android, Memrise is another game-like learning tool. It measures your progress, and the courses use tools such as images and mind tricks to help you learn vocabulary and phrases.
- Omniglot.com. This website has an encyclopedia for writing systems of the world. It also offers useful tips on learning languages and lists of words in countless different languages.