Going away this holiday? Start preparing now!
By Brittney MacDonald, Life & Style Editor
As much as I hate to admit it, Christmas is coming up and that means it’s time to pack! Whether you’re headed a long way home, or you simply need to get all that you need together before your family arrives and invades your personal space, the fact of the matter is that you need to deal with deciding what you should and shouldn’t bring. So here’s a couple tips to streamline your packing process.
- Communicate with your partners in crime. Are you going to visit someone, or are you travelling with anyone? Talk to them and see what they’re packing. Doing this will ensure that you don’t waste space by packing duplicates. Why take your own hair dryer when you know that they have one there, or you know that your friend’s bringing one?
- Ship stuff beforehand. Since its Christmas, you’re probably going to need to bring gifts. Don’t waste precious space by loading them in your suitcase. Ship the gifts ahead of time, so that you don’t have to worry. It might cost more, but trust me, it will be worth not having to deal with the hassle.
- Know what is near the place you’re going to. If you are actually going away, be aware of what’s around the place you’re staying. Is there a drugstore? A novelty shop? Knowing what’s around you will prevent you from having to prepare for the worst. If you’re near a drugstore, packing condoms or tampons isn’t necessary. If there is a grocery store, you won’t have to bring snacks with you, minus the ones that you plan on eating during the journey.
- Be aware of what’s going on. This is a catch-all for the situations that you need to specifically dress for. What sort of weather should you expect? Will you be attending any formal or semi-formal events during your time away? Nothing sucks more than realizing the clothes you have aren’t up to snuff.
- Daily needs are important. Prioritize your daily or nightly needs. Don’t make the mistake of thinking you can go a couple days without adhering to your strict nightly skin routine. Breaking up your routine, no matter if it’s cosmetic or relaxation-related, will put unneeded stress on your body and emotional state—and with this being Christmas, more stress is the last thing you want!