By Brittney MacDonald, Life & Style Editor
Here we are, entering the second week of back to school. By now you should have dealt with all the major issues students face during a new semester. You’ve got your books, you know where the cheapest food is, you only get lost looking for your classroom sometimes—but still, there are times you find yourself at a loss, be it when the air conditioning breaks down, or during those early morning lectures that turn into movie marathons. To help you out, here are five unconventional things you should always have in your school bag.
- Baby wipes. You may look strange pulling out a pack of Huggies when there’s no infant in sight, but believe me, these handy-dandy little sheets are the best things you can lug around with you. Good for freshening up on particularly muggy days, cleaning food off your fingers, or wiping down those sticky desks and chairs—nothing is more useful than a wet wipe. But why baby wipes? They’re cheaper than disinfectant wipes, come in re-sealable packaging, and are safe for all skin types.
- Clear nail polish. This may come as a shocker, but you can fix almost anything with a little clear nail polish. Whether you’re a man or a woman, everyone needs a good sealant now and then. Stray threads? Runs in your tights? Need a knot to stay put and hold? All can be fixed with a dab of clear nail polish. Bonus: it’s incredibly cheap. Once dry, you can write on it, which makes it perfect if you have to mark something like metal or concrete.
- Sugar packets. Nothing is worse than a wobbly desk and/or chair, but beyond flipping the thing upside down and attempting to even it out, there’s not much you can do. Enter the sugar packet—the world’s greatest leveler. Stuff a couple of them under the short leg and you can avoid the distraction of that annoying rock and click. The loose contents will fit into most spaces, and you can always have them on hand, as you can get them for free wherever hot beverages are sold.
- Five-Hour Energy Shot. This one might be a little self-explanatory. Part of being a student is being prepared for the unexpected—the other part is being prepared for the so-expected-it-has-almost–become-cliché. Having one of these in your bag at all times ensures that when your prof decides that 7 a.m. is the perfect time to dim the lights and watch an educational film, you’re not caught snoring. Even for the most well-rested soul—which a student never is—a dark classroom and the dulcet tones of someone reciting the complete history of scientific study and exploration will put anyone to sleep. But you can’t sleep, ever, because everything is on the final exam.
- A Tsum-Tsum. Yes, boys and girls, those adorable little potato-looking things that the Disney Store sells might just save your life. Okay, maybe not—but they are incredibly handy to have around. This is mostly due to the fact they are unintentionally the best screen cleaner known to man. The suede on the bottom side of these odd plush toys will clean just about any surface, including your phone, computer, tablet or eReader—no cleaning fluid required. They’re cheap, adorable, and come in a variety of characters, so you can choose your own personal favourite. I suppose you could just wander around with a scrap of really soft suede in your pocket, but that’s way less fun.